St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association
Annual Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 23, 2014
President Jeremy Wieland called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. followed by introductions.
Board members in attendance: Jeremy Wieland, Colleen Espinosa, Nick Espinosa, Peter Radford, Andrea Stelljes, Larry Ranallo, Laura Taken-Holtze, Donna Stutelberg. Absent: Taras Karkoc
1. Treasurer’s Report: Jeremy Wieland explained the Treasurer’s Report and the four different accounts that the SAENA Treasurer maintains.
2. Small Area Plan Update and Review: The final plan is going through the review process with staff from the City of Minneapolis before the full City Council votes on the plan. Below is a message sent via email regarding the public review period and the information needed to participate in the process:
St. Anthony East community stakeholders:
The St. Anthony East Neighborhood Small Area Plan is now available for a 45 day public comment period prior to the commencement of the City’s formal plan approval process through the Planning Commission and City Council. The comment period will extend from Monday, June 30 until Wednesday, August 13, 2014. All comments received during the public comment period will be incorporated in the public record and taken into consideration in editing the final draft of the plan.
The draft plan for public review is available on the City’s website for the plan at: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped/projects/StAnthonyEastPlan.
Paper copies will also be available for review at City planning offices and the Pierre Bottineau Library.
In order to ensure they are included in the public record, written comments should be submitted to Haila Maze, via email or regular mail, at the contact information provided below. Comments should be sent no later than August 13.
Haila Maze, AICP, Principal City Planner
Minneapolis Department of Community Planning & Economic Development Planning Division
105 5th Avenue South, Room 200, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Phone: (612) 673-2098; Fax: (612) 673-2728
Thanks for helping to plan for the future of the St. Anthony East neighborhood. Please contact Haila if there are any questions.
3. Community Commons Park Update: Treatment to prevent Emerald Ash Borer infestation has begun on the 34 ash trees in the park. The 3-yr treatment plan is being applied by Phil Jubert, a certified arborist. The playground equipment is being repaired.
4. Webster School Update: Will re-open as a K-3 community school in Fall 2015. Expect construction for renovation to begin soon.
5. Precinct Changes for Elections: 828 Spring St. NE will remain a polling place. City of Minneapolis decided to move the polling place for residents north of Summer Street to the Northeast Armory to relieve congestion at 828 Spring St NE on election day.
6. Special Thanks to:
• Laura Taken-Holtze for taking the lead and putting in months of work on the Small Area Plan and working with the consultants and Steering Committee
• Taras Karkoc for diligently serving as Treasurer and fulfilling three consecutive terms on the Board.
• Larry Ranallo for his generous donation of ice cream and use of The Moose on Monroe parking lot for plant give-away.
• Jeremy Wieland for keeping things running in the absence of a neighborhood administrator.
7. Questions and Comments from residents:
• What is going on with vacant lot on corner of Van Buren and Spring St? Most likely sold as a residential lot.
• Litter problem along Spring St. around Lush and Vegas especially on weekends. Bar owners will be contacted about the problem.
• SAENA phone number needs to be answered and calls returned. Problem has been solved with the hiring of Abby Rowan as new Neighborhood Administrator.
• Crime in neighborhood: safety measures were emphasized; security alarms on homes and motion sensor lights are encouraged.
• Is affordable housing addressed in the Small Area Plan? Yes, it is part of the plan.
8. St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association Board of Directors Election:
• Four open slots for 2014-2016 term; one slot for 2014-2015 due to Laura Taken-Holtze’s resignation.
• Taras Karkoc has served three consecutive two-year terms so must step down; Other terms ending in 2014: Andrea Stelljes, Colleen McKee Espinosa, Larry Ranallo
• Laura Taken-Holtze is moving out of St. Anthony East which leaves a one-year opening on the Board; one member will be elected to fulfill a one-year term.
• There were six nominees for Board: Larry Ranallo, Andrea Stelljes, Colleen McKee Espinosa, Josh Keller, Derek Griffith, Alana Espinosa
• Decision was made that the four nominees with the highest number of votes will fill four slots (two year term); fifth highest will fill Laura’s term (one year)
• New Board Members elected for 2014-2016: Derek Griffith, Larry Ranallo, Josh Keller, Alana Espinosa
• Elected for 2014-2015 (to fulfill one year term due to Laura’s Taken-Holtze’s resignation): Andrea Stelljes
• Election of officers will take place at the next Board meeting on Monday, July 28, 2014.
Following the Board elections, the meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Submitted by Andrea Stelljes, SAENA Secretary
July 18, 2014