August 2010

St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association

Board Meeting

Monday, August 23, 2010

Webster School Room 116

7:00 p.m.

Meeting Minutes

Present: Susan Burns, Jana Huffman, Sylvia Radford, Larry Ranollo, Taras Karkoc, Andrea Stelljes, Clareyse Nelson, Henrietta Smith, Theresa Borchardt, Taryn Runck

President Susan Burns called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. Board members approved the meeting agenda

Reports

1. Minutes for June 28, 2010 meeting

Sylvia Radford made a motion to accept the June 28 minutes; Taras Karkoc seconded. Motion carried, with two corrections: remove “Taras will look into taxes on the park” and add pea gravel purchase to park expenses.

2. Treasurer’s Report

Taras Karkoc presented current financial report. Clareyse Nelson made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report; Jana Huffman seconded the motion. Motion carried

  • Brief discussion followed about $500.00 donation to the Northeast Farmer’s Market booth at the Third Ward Neighborhood Summit on Sept. 22. Taras will look into the details for the donation.

Presentations and Updates

1. Restorative Justice Community Action

Taryn Runck, Community Coordinator, presented and distributed information on how neighborhoods can be involved in Restorative Justice Community Action (RJCA). The program gives community members a voice in the justice process.  Using trained facilitators, RJCA brings community members and people who’ve committed offenses in Minneapolis neighborhoods together in small group meetings to decide how to make amends in the community.  All participants have a voice in the process and the out come. Taryn will make sure SAENA receives information for any future conferences in Northeast Minneapolis. More information is available at www.rjca.org

2. Neighborhood Policing Plan Update

  • Susan Burns, Jana Huffman, Lt. Waite and Nick Juarez met recently with business owners in the Spring/Monroe Street area as a first step toward implementing the Commercial part of the policing plan, and that is to assist in creating a safer, more attractive business district.  All four businesses were invited to participate.  Moose Bar and Vegas Lounge participated; Spring Street and Gopher Liquor declined.
  • Regarding the residential focus, Nick Juarez recommended that we continue focus on Adams and add Madison St NE as an additional focus.
  • Discussion followed about how to get more St. Anthony East residents involved in the association and how we can promote our events and information.
  • Ideas presented: Hold separate meetings for Board business and community information sharing sessions. Larry Ranollo made motion to restructure meeting times; Sylvia Radford seconded. Motion carried.
  • New meeting times: 7-7:30 p..m. Board Meeting; 7:30-8:30 Community Meeting
  • Note: After motion was carried we learned that Webster building closes at 8:00 p.m., so Meetings will possibly be held from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m pending Board approval

3. SAENA Fall Festival Update

  • Jana Huffman presented ideas for a festival to be held on Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 from 2:00- 4:00 p.m on Adams St NE between Spring and Summer Streets
  • Activities may include an all ages costume parade; coffee/cider tasting; face painting; presentations/vehicles from Fire and Police Departments
  • Looking into the possibility of obtaining permit to close Adams St for the afternoon
  • Ideas needed for a fun, catchy name for the Festival!

4. Dog Park Update

Taras Karkoc will send possible dates for a walking tour of the proposed park via email to the Board members

5. Community Gardens

  • Sylvia Radford has been coordinating the garden plots.
  • She will forward the Community Gardens bylaws and other information to Jana Huffman for posting on the SAENA website so that residents who are interested in knowing how to apply for a space in the garden will be ablle to easily access the information.

6. CARE (Community and Resource Exchange) Meeting Update

Susan Burns attended the recent Third Ward CARE meeting that focused on dangerous dogs, housing inspections, problem properties and other livability issues, including a reminder for residents to call 311 or 911 depending on the seriousness of the situation.

7. Council Member Update

Third Ward Council Member, Diane Hofstede gave a brief update on the Third Ward Neighborhood Summit on Sept. 22. All neighborhood associations are welcome to have a booth at the summit. Contact Diane’s office for more information

Diane also presented information about the construction schedule for the Old 3rd housing units.

Other Business

Larry Ranollo announced that “Eastside Night Out” will be a new June 2011 event that focuses on summer activities for youth, including Park & Rec activities. Sponsored by PAC, Mpls. Park and Rec and other agencies, this event will get kids and families involved in fun and safe activities early in the summer.

Meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Andrea Stelljes, Secretary

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s