May 2011

St. Anthony East Neighborhood Association

Community and Board Meetings

Monday, May 23, 2011

Logan Park Recreation Center

7:00 p.m.

Meeting Minutes

Present: Susan Burns, Sylvia Radford, Andrea Stelljes, Sean O’Neil, Blaine Muyres, Donna Stutelberg, Jenny Camacho, Clareyse Nelson, Taras Karkoc, Iris Pahlberg, Jana Huffman, Lisa Brock,

 

President Susan Burns called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.

 

Community Meeting Reports

 

 

  1. Introductions were made.

 

  1. Jennifer Camacho and Jodi Struck discussed SAENA’s current housing loan programs and what kind of programs other neighborhoods have used. They explained that SAENA can restructure existing programs to make them more accessible to residents. Other neighborhoods have done this and it has helped make the loans more attractive to residents.  For more information about NRP Housing Programs, residents can contact the Housing Resource Center North office at 612-588-3033.

 

  1. Iris Pahlberg presented information on how the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board could help St. Anthony East satisfy the necessary permit and liability requirements for an off-leash dog park. A discussion took place on what other dog parks in Minneapolis have done and what the process is to go through the Parks Board.

 

  1. Blaine Muyres gave the CARE update. He reported on the Northeast Strategic Alliance and its efforts to prevent crime with increased collaboration between businesses. He also discussed the group of residents in the St. Anthony West neighborhood who voiced concern over a problem property on their street. Information on the new Eastside Court Watch programs was presented and he gave some information on 2nd Precinct crime statistics, most notably that Part 1 crimes had decreased in the past month.

 

  1. Sean O’Neil gave the 2PAC update. He reported on the Eastside Court Watch program. He explained that the program participants choose certain individuals that have negatively impacted the community through severe crimes or chronic criminal activity. No more than 20 persons will be on the list of people to track at once through this system.

 

  1. Sean O’Neil gave an update on the St. Anthony East Neighborhood Walks.  A discussion took place regarding which board member would manage the walks and Clareyse Nelson volunteered to fill that position. The meeting attendants came to a consensus that the walks will start in the parking lot of Webster School on June 7 at 6:30 p.m. and will meet every Tuesday at least throughout the summer.

 

  1. Sean O’Neil gave an update on the landlord workshop, set for June 30th, and explained the purpose of the workshop. The goal of the workshop is to provide landlords with essential information about rental licenses, tenant screening, leases, and property improvement opportunities. Crime Prevention Specialist Luther Krueger will lead the workshop.

 

  1. Susan Burns presented information on developing a Master Plan document for St. Anthony East. The purpose of master planning is to determine a medium to long- term direction for land use and development in the neighborhood.

 

 

 

Board Meeting called to order at 8:05 p.m.

 

 

  1. Minutes
  • Susan Burns proposed to change “Vice President” to “President” in the sentence that reads: “Vice President Susan Burns called the meeting at 8:02”. She also proposed that full sentences be used in the Minutes. Sylvia Radford moved to accept the Minutes with the proposed changes; Clareyse Nelson seconded and the motion passed.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report
  • Taras Karkoc went through SAENA’s financial reports for the previous two months. Xx moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report; Xx seconded and the motion passed.

 

  1. SAENA Office Equipment
  • A discussion took place on using SAENA funds to purchase a printer for use of the Office Manager. Xx moved to approve the purchase; xx seconded and the motion passed.

 

  1. Neighborhood Goals and Board Responsibilities
  • Susan Burns discussed board responsibilities such as responding to emails and managing initiatives. Andrea Stelljes and Clareyse Nelson offered to put an information packet together for new board members including the document listing the Board responsibilities and a copy of the By-Laws. These documents will be available at the annual meeting.

 

  1. NRP Phase I Report

A discussion took place on the NRP Phase I report. Clareyse Nelson recommended that we include how much money has been paid back in the Revolving Loan Program. Andrea Stelljes recommended that the Neighborhood Policing Plan be taken out, as it was not a Phase I activity. Board Member moved to approve the report with the recommended corrections; Board Memeber seconded and the motion passed.

 

  1.  2011 Neighborhoodfest
  • Jana Huffman explained what each board member had volunteered to do for the festival. She explained that Larry Ranallo agreed to make a poster board with information on all the neighborhood businesses, Sylvia Radford is making a map of the neighborhood, Andrea Stelljes has made sign-up sheets with volunteer checkboxes, Taras Karkoc is getting giveaway gifts, and Jana Huffman is making a display board with event and neighborhood pictures.  Taras Karkoc agreed to coordinate the SAENA booth at the festival on Sept. 28, 2011.

 

  1. Other Business
  • The decision was made to combine the Plant Give Away that was postponed from May 22, with the Ice Cream Social on June 10, 2011 starting at 6:30 p.m. Sean O’Neil will order the flowers. Volunteers were secured for serving ice cream and monitoring the plant give away. Lisa Brock agreed to serve food at the Ice Cream Social.

 

Meeting Adjourned at 8:35 pm

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s